I decided to try making a small Island because the 2 natural floating Islands in my pond attract so much wildlife.

Took a 12ft piece of 1 1/4" plastic pipe, and connected it together with a wood plug. Then took the plug out, taped over each end, poked a small hole in the tape and put the nozzle of the foam can thru and filled it with foam. If you've never used spray foam, make sure you wear disposable gloves, it's sticky. I then put the plug back in and connected the hoop, then used a bungee to keep it oval shaped while the foam hardened, but I did push down too hard and one end crimped, but no problem.
When the foam hardened I wired 2 foam noodles to the frame, then zip tied the 1/2" plastic netting to the frame.
My next step was to use plastic garland for underwater structure, I had purchased 105 ft. for $3.00 at a discount store after Christmas and thought it might help attract more fish and bugs. I put 3ft lengths around the perimeter and some in the middle. I'll probably add a pvc pipe across the frame for strength.
The frame is 5' X 3' and should have at least 40lbs. of flotation with the noodles and foam filled pipe.
When the pond thaws I'll put it next to the dock and put in some peat moss and then dirt. My wife wants to plant flowers and grass on it, then we'll anchor it in the deep end.
When I have something growing in it I'll post pictures.

Here's the frame after filling with foam.

The frame with noodles wired on.

The 1/2" plastic netting was added here.

Here's the frame with garland attached.

I also need to buy longer zip ties so I can attach the noodles to the frame better.
Any bets if it floats after dirt and plants are added?

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/27/09 08:22 PM.