Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
As long as you acclimate them, you can stock them as soon as the ice is gone. However, there is no real advantage to doing this until the water temp is about 60, when they will start spawning.

As a recommendation, once you get your crappies stocked, stock some 4"-5" GSH. They will be too large for your crappie to eat, however their young won't and the crappies will love the secondary food source besides just the FHM... That is if you are just trying to grow monster crappies.

Keep us updated on your experiment!

No advantage to stocking now? Ah, except to serve as a cure to this horrible case of cabin fever I've been battling for months! I not only get to hand sort 400 FH's, but also get to finally position my pallets for spawning. That's a couple of days I get an excuse to work on the land...and every excuse counts when the ground is frozen and all other projects are on indefinite hold!

I will certainly keep anyone interested in the loop. And that's great advice on the GSH...wonder if one needs to really worry about applying spawning mats as habitat for them? Any experience just allowing them to do their thing without creating spawning mats?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]