The only time I would use the pellet type baits is if I was planning on keeping every fish caught or landed. Those "smarter" fish released will IMO be definately negatively reinforced by catch and release pellet angling. However when a pond has lots of pellet trained fish, the fish that may turn into shy or negative pellet feeders will not be or hardly be noticed by the casual pondowner. In my pond, I always want the most fish possible feeding on pellets to optimize growth of as many fish as possible. This philosophy is one of the reasons why I have such good experiences growing many easily catchable trophy fish.

Now, about the new "Stubby Steve" pellet bait. I do not doubt it is quite good. But, so is Berkley's Powerbait Trout Hatchery Formula (pellet size about 1cm or 3/8", 2 oz packet of abt 100 baits). These dark brown colored pellet baits are very pliable and look and feel exactly like softened Aquamax carnivore and work exceptionally well. The pellets can even be molded or kneaded together to make a larger pellet. If you want to try a very good artificial pellet bait also try these.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/20/09 10:51 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management