Not wanting to stir up a hornets nest or anything afterall I don't see one post regarding killing fish with anything but rotenone. but after a failed attempt at rotenone I found a website about chemicals and organics that are used to do a fish kill. Turns out household bleach on a small puddle after the pond is drained is very effective. I have done it twice and probably one more time this year on my last pond.

Bleach supposedly breaks down really fast in the water and becomes ineffective. I saw this happen the first time around. I put in about 4 gallons in a puddle about 25ft across and 3ft deep in the middle. Probably got a 95% kill immediatly. Came back the next day and saw a few fish swimming. Hit'em with 8 gallons and ended the story. I waited about a week after I did this just to observe the water. It did knock back the huge mass of coontail that was left in the bottom which was what was keeping me from pumping it dry. The water though looked fine. Filled the pond back up, everything looks just like it did. This particular pond is .5 acres and 18ft when full. I'd bet I could dump a 55gallon drum of bleach in the pond when full and not kill the fish before it diluted to nothing.

I have never used any other agent so don't really have anything to A/B it to but it sure did work very fast.

here is the link with all the other stuff that is used. http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/international/unwantedfish.htm

Just thought i'd share my experience, if anyone runs into a brick wall with rotenone.

Bleach= $2.50 per 1.5 gallons around here.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!