Csteffen, you quote a 2.5% mortality rate for grass carp in the first 20 years; that means that in 20 years half of the fish die. Then, in the actual situation that follows, you show where all 10 fish survived for 21 years. What do you suppose is going on there? I hope Shawn is right that the life span for triploids is shorter.

Greg, your observations are much more optimistic, thank you! I sure hope you're right that I'm over estimating the number of carp still in my lake. I thought I saw what looked like dozens feeding on shoreline grass after heavy rains and high water levels last summer, but after further review, maybe it was just ONE dozen.

RL, aren't you concerned that the yellow water iris will spread to cover all the shallower areas of your pond? That's my concern with lilies. Then I would be back to square one with too many weeds, only this time with no biological weapons left to employ.

CJBS, thanks for the GC rigging tip. Wow, it's elaborate though!

Shorty, that's one old fat fish they caught there in NE. Ohio doesn't list a GRASS carp record. The record carp here is 50 lbs.