Purposely undersizing the heat pump doesn't make much sense to me. Geothermal systems are most efficient when they are allowed to maintain a constant temperature. Programing a thermostat to cycle temps up and down around home activity actually will increase your electric bill. If the geothermal is sized right then the heat strips should rarely if ever activate.

Theoretically, an upgrade to the transformer only succeeded in treating the symptoms. It didn't fix the root cause being simultaneous heat source demand caused by an undersized heat pump. The electric co. just made it easier to draw more power. I thought that the whole idea of geothermal was to utilize the constant heat of the earth and cutting the energy consumption by reducing or eliminating electrical resistance heat generation.

I just don't agree with the techs diagnosis as I understand it. That would be like a recommendation to increase the throttle for a ship slowed by dropped anchor. Just my two cents for what it's worth. I was just looking for a little more clarification of the techs' diagnosis.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.