Quote:
Originally posted by slydog:
A couple more thoughts on trout. I buy from a supplier that guarantees disease free fish. Pay the few cents more per fish for the piece of mind! As much as I wanted to stock browns I resisted. They stay deep, will ravish smaller trout and can be hard to catch. I love to fish for them though and may put in several "local" wild browns for fun. One or two last words...My reseach, professional advise and pond design "suggest" that some limited reproduction may be possible. We'll see about that. Lastly, I put a lot of fish attractors/rock structure in the pond. When I post pictures you will understand. Slydog
Actually many folks in other states have no choice when it comes to disease free fish. I cannot plant any trout without disease free status from my suppliers and an O.K. from my state. My state takes it very seriously. (Of course that doesn't stop them from planting diseased fish but if you make the rules I guess you can break them)

Browns are more of a challenge to catch but a very worthwhile fish IMHO. In fact I no longer raise rainbows. I have a much higher demand for browns and brooks. To me rainbows are a dime a dozen.

Limited reproduction of rainbows in pond? That's a new one to me and any researchers I know. The only trout that I've seen reproduce in a pond or lake are brook trout. They need upwelling water to do so.

Not trying to challenge your assertions but I respectfully disagree.

I'll take one of these guys over a rainbow any day! This male brown was just under 12 lbs. and was caught on a kastmaster spoon out of my trout pond a couple of years ago. My neighbor is holding him as he got off his lawnmower to net it for me. :p

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.