I have a topic I think Bruce Condello and others may be willing to provide research for: Using Tilapia in Northern Waters. I never [and probably most Northern pondmeisters] considered them as forage as they aren't cold water tolerant - but changing one's views somewhat as establishing them as a resident species is what was key for me. IMO - a small, annual Springtime investment to restock Tilapia in order to keep algae growth down, waters clear, and providing a great forage base enabling my BG and YP to remain less on the SMB, LMB and HSB menu list is worth it. I like the fact they will spawn several times during the Summer, and that when waters cool they become lethargic and provide a great final feast for everything headed into winter.

Pondboss mag article covered a lot of this including the fact that predator species AND BG growth rates improved significantly with Tilapia stocking - which are big benefits in my mind. Is this something that would generate interest for anyone else besides myself?

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]