Thanks for posting your pictures. I was expecting something like what you have from your description. The steepness of the dam will make it difficult to work on, but it's small enough that you probably wont' have to do much. Are you physically capable of climbing around on the dam and looking for the leak? It might not be visible, but if you can find a hole of some kind, that would be a huge help if fixing it.

With all those trees on it, roots are a good first guess for the leak. After that, it's either an animal, rot or loose soil.

All of which can be fixed with a backhoe or excavator. I would think a backhoe would be the least expensive way to go. They are easily transported and plenty big enough to dig up the bad areas and repack them.

The trick is to find somebody who knows what he's doing and stands behind his work. For this, you need to check references. Never hire the first person that you talk to, and always listen to that little voice of doubt when interviewing people.

It's probably a thousand dollar repair to do it right. The trees should probably go and then the shoreline needs to be dug up, then repacked. Two guys with a backhoe should be able to do it in a full day pretty easily.

I wouldn't expect any government assistance. They are on pretty tight budgets and your pond is pretty small. No agriculture value to them. Unless you can come up with a reason that it benefits allot of others, or is somehow needed for safety, you're more then likely wasting your time looking for financial assistance.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.