Centrarcid on hte NANFA website I see now is Dr. James Wetzel.

He wants me to establish a link with NANFA (North American Native Fishes Association) to allow me to post the pictures.

Here is is:

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php?s=f56e4f207b5686d131e8023aed0d7cf8&showforum=195

Also to give credit to him for the following pics as:

Dr. James Wetzel
Bluegill Cultigen Project
Aquaculture Research
Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
Lincoln University
Jefferson City, MO

He says he can generate / post more images of a similar nature with time.

Here are his own words from the thread on NANFA:

"For those interested or not inclined to accept the existance of hybrids.

My student, while trying to build a photography tank made these images of hybrids involving a female pumpkinseed sunfish. Fish are half-siblings (dam / mother) generated from the same batch of eggs.

All specimans photographed are male. Interesting that some characters of pumpkinseed are obvious in some crosses but not others. Still trying to standardize background and lighting. Hybrid with redear typical in that head profile more similar to redear even among large animals. In contrast with allotetraploid version of pumpkinseed x redear (shown in earlier thread), the diploid shown here does acquire ther black ventral coloration of redear when on the nest."

Quote:
Are these artificially spawned crosses?

"Yes, we squeezed out the eggs and placed them into six dishes before each dish had semen added from bluegill, central longear, greensunfish, redear, redspotted orwarmouth sunfishes. Products were incubated separately until they were large enough to fin clip. Fin clips thought needed only for warmouth and green hybrids thinking they might be hard to distinguish but results were easy to tell apart."

Pumpkinseed X Northern Bluegill

Pumpkinseed X Central Longear

Pumpkinseed X Redear

Pumpkinseed X Green Sunfish

Pumpkinseed X Red Spotted Sunfish

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/13/08 10:45 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.