The fly in the ointment was when he said the fish aren't as nice as the ones grown in ponds as in body confirmation, they may have bad fins etc. (in reference to my taxidermy market.)

Here is the entire post:

I am running about a dozen water reuse systems, most with the purpose of growing bluegill from stage between conception and 1.5 pounds.
The confirmation issue I mentioned earlier is caused by high stocking density, sleeping / perching on bottom when lights off, poor diet quality. We can raise really nice fish (in terms of weight) fast where exceptional males can reach 1.5 pounds in 18 months, but like so many other intensive production operations, we tend to produce animals will damaged finnage, odd morphology (sometimes phenotypic plasticity involved), and less than the best coloration. We are trying to lick these problems since many of our animals are finished out in ponds where quality in terms of appearence may be correlated with survival and reproductive performance when turned around for use as brood stock.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/12/08 08:58 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.