Due to countless PB'ers asking to see more details about my barn here are some pictures (actually maybe it was just Brettski who asked for details). Anyway, here you go....

My wife and younger daughter have horses (older daughter got smart several years ago and gave it up) and I always wanted a pond (I'd prefer a 1,000 acre lake but couldn't afford that). So, a few years ago we purchased some acreage. We plan to move there in about 2 more years. We're working on the house plans right now. Job 1 was to renovate the pond. That's done. Fish are in and growing fast. Of course, I had to have a tractor to take care of things and if you have a tractor you have to have a tractor barn, right? Oh yea, I also needed a place to store the ATV, canoe, fishing stuff, etc........

I hired an Amish barn builder to build a 24'x48' board and batten pole barn (eastern white pine). I should have done a 36'x48' barn but didn't want to spend that much. Just like any other contractor he was slow to start the project. No complaints afterwards though, he did a good job. Here are some pictures.

Poles, purlins, trusses, etc up; dormers started...

Metal roof started...

The Amish don't want their picture taken but I snuck this one in anyway....

I'm told the Amish don't want their picture taken since they believe each time they are photographed it steals a piece of their soul. It was interesting to see how the Amish worked without electricity. All of their tools were powered by a gasoline air compressor - table saws, circular saws, screw guns, nail guns. Of course they used a driver to get them to the job and tow their trailer. And, to get in touch I just called the driver's cell phone and he handed it to the Amish contractor. They do shun some modern conveniences but not all.

Aside from being functional I like the looks of a cupola. I found an Amish cupola builder to build what I wanted (right down the street from where the Nickel Mines Amish school shooting was 2 year ago). Cupola is made from PVC (no maintenance!) and has a copper roof and weathervane. I did a lot of research and trial and error to get the copper roof and weathervane to turn green. Here is the copper roof and weathervane....

2nd floor loft area...

Concrete floor poured...

Barn done, front view....

Barn done, back view....

I'll be putting some windows in the front and back but need to figure out how many and where to put them.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by RobA; 10/18/08 09:42 PM.