Canepole, I guess I will make everyone mad. ;\) I agree with ML and Sunil on a few points but disagree about others. Agree with SUnil no reason to worry about catchability. Not saying it is not an issue but I take the opposite approach and it works for my clients. That is try to maximize number of bass lbs in the environment thus creating more bass so less lure shy. Also I feel healthy bass have more energy to chase lures. However I disagree with Sunil
about diverse fishery. It is about goals if wanting to max bass grwoth limit the number of predators to just largemouth bass.

On the second pond that has more water and concern of trash I agree with ML. Have a diverse fishery with "other" fish keep it bass heavy as well to limit the success of trash fish. You can have fun with this one and plenty to read about.

Back to bass pond, iff goal is quality/trophy bass here is my free 2cents based on 7 acres:

when half full:

5500 coppernose bluegill
1500 redear (shellcracker)
7000 fathead minnows
spring load(7,000) threadfin shad
June after other fish 350 F1 Bass Fingerlings
June 175 Florida Bass "
If legal Tilapia (# ML-?)

Lime to acheive > 20 ppm alkalinity if necessary
Fertilize to achieve 18-24 inches visibility
Fed to satiation might require 3 feeders.
Proper bass harvest starting in year 2.

This will result in max lbs of bass in the pond. this should provide great fishing for maximum amount of fishing enjoyment for bass and ok fishing for bluegill. \:D

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com