Bruce,

I have found yellow perch are very hardy fish! Testament to that is where they appear where they are not wanted they are considered a nuisance species and are almost impossible to eradicate.

From my experience the perch handle well when hauling and moving. Tough little critters! Only mortality I have experienced is female spawning mortality and that is very minimal and happens in wild populations too.

I wish my bluegills that were in the bluegill pond were not as sensitive as they are. These particular bluegills can't seem to tolerate catching or moving very well. Could just be these particular fish or their densities where their immune systems were compromised by high ammonia levels or crowding stress.

Also caught and removed a 1 lb. 1/2 oz. bluegill off of a bed in the bass pond the other day. I quickly weighed him but didn't measure him but he couldn't have been 10 inches. He was as wide as he was long. Beautiful fish. Went into the perch only pond where there are about 6 large ones also.

BTW bluegills are done! I'm just looking for a forked piece of dritwood I can put them put on to add a base with artifical vegatation etc.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.