Bski - I saw the before and after photos, your stocking and pond experiences show what can be done in growing YP and SMB when it is done correctly. Good job.

As far as sampling goes, I have found that if swallowing the hook is a problem one can switch to a larger hook No 4 or even a No 2 or switch to minnows for bait for YP and SMB. However the larger hooks do bias the catch results toward larger fish if records are being kept. When these fish (YP-SMB) take a minnow there is a little more handling time involved before swallowing compared to worms. I caught 11 perch yesterday for removal and transfer using minnows under a bobber - none swallowed the hook.

Since you under stocked the pond regarding numbers, catching will improve greatly in a couple years as the new recruits grow to fill the carrying capacity of the new pond. New recruits should also grow well since lots of forage items are present. Once carrying capacity is reached expect growth rates to be somewhat reduced due to a limiting or availability of forage foods.

Again good job, your pond seems to be doing well so far. Did you get a chance to set a fish trap while at the pond?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/05/08 02:05 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management