Rainman, I watch the males on the nest for a few days, then I saw the female about five or six feet from the nest letting the fry in and out of her mouth in a patch of moss with a hole in it about the size of a basketball. I got a fine meshed dip net and when she let them out I dipped up 84 fry. The next day I found another female and dipped up 30. That was on June 22. I have them in a tank in my basement. I have not lost one fish yet and they are growing like crazy. I was just wondering if they would spawn in the tank on their own without doing anything special, I was told they would by the guy I bought some from last year. He puts his in tank and leaves them alone and dips out the fry as soon as he notices them before they are gobbled up by the other fish. My fish are about 4 inches long and I did not know if they were too young to spawn yet. They are starting pick out areas of the tank and chase the other fish away. I am thinking something going on. Any information would be helpful. Ricky