Originally Posted By: ewest
Cecil I would call that "genetic vigor" and it does occur (big vs. little people , High IQ , etc).

Eric I would too but the text called it hybrid vigor even though the fish are of the same species.

Interesting is the comment on inbreeding depression - to many bad traits pop up and its corollary in hybrids - outbreeding depression - where the bad traits tend to pop up in offspring of hybrids (F2s F3s and FXs ).

Yeah I thought it was interesting reading too. What I found revealing was when one is breeding fish with like traits, i.e. fast growth, the fish are most likely closely related and one eventually will end up with a severely inbred population. Eventually growth suffers. This is why it's important to keep a separate population(s) on hand or bring in new seed if you are serious about a breeding program.

Cecil do yours have that same genetic vigor ?

I believe so. My gills hatched in July and I already had 2 plus inch gills in August. Not most of them mind you but some of them. I have some 3 inch gills right now.

Although due to circumstances beyond my control this year with almost all of the broodstock being Bruce's, there were a few females that were of a different stock which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/03/08 08:57 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.