Firstly, Deb I want to thank you for your participation in this forum. I think the position or philosophy of “Ken’s Hatchery” needed to be presented first hand. Welcome.

Please bear with me as my first question led to related secondary questions.

Since I have a pretty old catalog (1980’s), I know Georgia Giant hyb-bgill have been around for numerous years.

1. When were they first sold to the public?

2. In a previous post you mentioned the hatchery conducts research and development, quote- "We spend so much time in research and development......". Has the hatchery or anyone else conducted and DOCUMENTED, replicated, annual growth rate studies during the typical life span of these fish? In other words are there additional or other documented growth rates over a several year period of the Georgia Giants besides the monster 5 lb GG that has been set as a standard or goal that is shown on the Website and in the catalog? (I have not seen a recent catalog.) I assume, but maybe incorrectly, that no facility outside the hatchery has published these types of data because if data were available it would be advertised or promoted. Since you mentioned in a previous post that the hatchery conducts research and development, I think long term growth studies that document normal, annual growth over a several year period should be a basic part of one’s "research" activities.

The recent research study by WVA State College (AMJA, 2004. 66:312-318) that measured growth rates and protein diets of hybrid bluegills (sunfish) was conducted for just or only 12 weeks with fish initially sized at average of 33-34g pg.315, (3”?). I am interested in the long term or life span growth rates that have been documented or recorded on an annual basis for the GG hybrid. Many fish have been shown to have rapid, early growth rates, however, when sexual maturity occurs the growth rate significantly decreases. Does the hatchery have proof that the growth rates of GG hybrids continues to outpace or exceed the growth rates other well fed hybrid sunfish or high quality of pure strain bgill? Once maturity occurs growth rates can change or be variable depending on species and existing conditions. As you probably know, growth rates after maturity are an important part of developing a trophy fishery.

As a related subquestion, 1A. Does the hatchery have any documented growth rates for GG’s that were raised in Ken’s floating raceways? I am especially interested the variability of growth rates among individuals of a specific batch or spawn.

2. With optimum or near optimum conditions what is the typical maximum size of GG’s and at what age?

3. What is the typical life span of these fish? What are sizes of these fish (GG) when they are dying of old age at your hatchery? Any records and or photos?

4. After the initial stocking (see below, Ken's guidelines), what is the hatchery’s recommended annual or supplemental fish stocking or purchased NON-FISH additions for a pond during the duration of the typical F1, GG growth-life cycle to maintain best growth? If no post-stocking needs to occur, then are the GG’s expected to grow optimally by feeding primarily on the pond’s existing forage items and pelleted fish food?
Year 1 and number per acre: 3000 GG
600 channel cats
5000 gambusia minnows
600 large mouth OR 600-1000 smallmouth (6 months to 1 year later)
1 Aqaurius aerator
1 Bug-O-Matic Feeder
1 Automatic feeder (38% protein/22%fish meal pellets)
1 quart ocean blue pond dye (per acre 4 foot deep)

This part or subsection relates back to my basic question in part one above and I ask it because: After initial stocking, what is the annual NORMAL standard of growth rate of the GG’s (growth rate base line) so one can compare the growth of their GG fish or other sunfish with some sort of realistic standard GG growth rate? I think that the world class 5 pound GG depicted on the website is not going to be the standard, typical or normal GG growth that one can expect from these fish.

5. I suspect that many of your clients stock the GG into ponds that range in size from 0.2 – 1.0 acre. Are there exceptions or changes in the recommended stocking rates or management methods when the GG’s are used in different sized ponds if optimum growth rates are desired?.

6. Why do you recommend 38% protein when the West Virginia 2004 study indicated significantly better GG growth was with food containing 42%-44% protein? For optimum growth of most all sport fish, my experiences have also revealed that foods containing 40%+ protein produce better growth results than the lower protein foods, especially when fish are in crowded conditions (such as Ken’s hatchery guidelines), when the natural food chain base is heavily grazed and or when the fish do not have or have very limited access to natural foods (caged, in raceways, or in intensive recirculating systems).

7. Do the GG F1 hybrids display sexual dimorphism? The reason I asked about the ratio of GG males to females is I was thinking about the possibility of stocking just male fish into small waters or using only male fish as non-problematic bonus fish in mixed or single species ponds. Male only fish would eliminate the necessity of stocking predators to control subsequent additions of substandard offspring.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management