I just bought a piece of property that has a pond, maybe 3/4 acre according to the survey. 12 feet at the deepest, edges quite shallow. This is an old cow pond, never touched until now. The pond is fishable, however the fish tend to be small bullhead. There supposedly are some bass, turtles, frogs, minnows and bluegillin the pond, I think stocked in the past by the DNR but I have yet to catch those. Pond stays muddy, visible to about a foot on a good day. I have been watching this site ever since discovering it and sense that I might have a bullhead problem. Doubt I can catch enough to make a difference. I don't have a lot of money to spend on the pond, and with the lack of rainfall hate to pump the pond dry and start from scratch to get rid of these vermin. So my questions:

Should I learn to like bullheads? The kids like catching them.

What are the procedures for Retonene<sp>? Can these be killed off along with everything else in the pond? When should I do this? What kind of work is it? (I have visions of thousands of dead fish... there goes the neighborhood.)

Where do I get some really big fish to eat everything else.. Bass, Flatheads, Channel Cat, etc?

Any advice would be appeciated.

Kyle

Last edited by Alabama Pnd Man; 08/21/08 11:52 AM.