Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Ryan -- one other possibility. There's been at least some thought that there are two body forms for bluegills. One is the saucer shape, and the other is more streamlined. If a bluegill lives in submergent vegetation, the saucer shape would be better for avoiding predators (fast turns) and feeding. If a bluegill lives in an open-water environment, then the longer body shape might be better for predator avoidance (faster).

Actually, that speculation is the easy part. Now, the hard part: is it genetics, or is it an adaptation to the environment (meaning that all bluegills have the capability to go "either way" depending on the habitat in which they live)? I have not seen an answer to that one.

This should start some discussion, eh??? \:\)

Whoa! This gives me something really cool to put in http://www.bigbluegill.com !

Is there a something I can draw off of to put together a little article? I'm sure I could take the bluegills above, and have Bill Coddy put them in a combination slide with a couple of Bassandgrass or Theo's crazy saucers.

Maybe Dr. Dave can even write a paragraph or two if I can talk Cody into helping me with the slide. (hint, hint, hint)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.