Merdav,

Your water doesn't look a whole lot different than mine does through most of the summer -- right down to the green "dust" that floats on the pond each evening. Mine is a little muddy and quite high right now, as we got 5-inches of rain during two storms last week.

However, my fish seem to thrive. They are always hungry, they grow well, and I have little trouble getting enough for dinner whenever we try catching a few. Before last week's storms, I had about 10-12 inches of visibility in my pond. Tonight it was closer to 20 inches, and my water temp at 4-foot down was 75 degrees. By the weekend, I expect I'll be back to 12 inches of visibility, and water in the low 80s.

I've had one fish kill in the last four years. The water/weather was quite warm (water probably in the 80s), we had a major rain storm, and many of my really big catfish (30-40 inches) started to float up a few days later (no loss -- I was trying to get them out anyway).

Your pond and landscaping look beautiful. Like the others said, I don't think I change things unless your fish become lethargic and start sucking the top of the pond -- looking like they can't seem to get enough oxygen.

Keep us posted,
Ken G.

And, thank you Jeff, for re-posting the photos. (At a minimum, that post should qualify as #5!)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!