Same principal as when they poured the footings on the world trades center to expel trapped bentonite slurry and air a mechanical valve would require service and fail because of debris so by installing pref pipe in bottom in gravel and coming up solid to suface hance air and water relief.For northern ponds a frost bleed off is suggested. I have only done three liner ponds which were small and came up with this method because I could not bring myself to the point of cutting a hole in a $7000.00 liner to put in a burp valve and wondering if it was in the right location or if the liner would seal to the soil from runoff clay. This was evident when we had the liner delivered it sat on some clay on shore for two weeks and when Jim went to lift into pond the clay stuck to the liner
Then the next hammer in the bag was what if the pond went down winter frost came and liner froze to the soil thermal reserve from the pond yes should warm the dam but had a doubt so we installed the bleed pipe

If you look at the construction data of your new stadium down there they have applied this to geo thermal.

THINK OF A WELL TANK Iwould think a gravel key from the bottom up might work would you exit it on the dam deck past the liner or would it fill with silt over time pipe is bettr i think

Scott Trava
Catskill Pond
http://catskillpond.com
scott@catskillpond.com
Returning Catskill Waters To A Simpler Time
EST. 1923