Got a problem with Sago Pondweed and Small Pondweed (Potomogeton Pussilus) in my largest pond. And then there's the Chara which is quite extensive. I'd say a good 60 percent of my pond is being taken over by large beds of the two pondweed species. And Chara covers 99 percent of the bottom up to a couple of feet deep. Manual control is just too labor intensive although I have tried it. From my research granular Hydrothol 191 is the herbicide of choice and I should spot treat gradually moving around the pond as the previous are becomes nontoxic.

However it says it can be toxic to fish and of course I don't want to treat the whole pond at once anyway, which not only would be toxic to the fish but create serioius oxygen demand.

Anyone know of any guidelines of how large an area I can treat at at time? I seem to have read somewhere the fish will leave an area if I only spot treat. So as long as they have an area that is free of the herbicide I should be fine.

Thoughts?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.