Hello,

I am in the market to purchase an aeration system. I have done a lot of reading and searching on the internet to try to determine what system is a good fit for my application. My pond is oval and somewhat shaped like a jelly bean. It is ~200 feet long by ~90 feet wide. The average depth is around 6-7 feet deep. The bottom (according to a sonar) is soft and mucky.

The pond itself is about 25 years old. When we bought the property 4 years ago, it was very neglected. It had lots of filamentous algae, and probably every waterweed that exists. Long story short, we have done a lot of clean up over the past four years and it now looks pretty good. Up until this spring, we had a lot of bluegills/sunfish, minnows, bullheads. The pond currently has no aeration system. We have not had any winter kill or any other kill, however the large BGs and sunfish seem to have vanished over this past harsh winter. I only found two dead fish in spring. One was a blue gill and the other one was a bullhead, but I have not caught any BGs and I have not seen the typical spawning areas such as previous years. The bullheads are still around . So, to eliminate any kill potential and to help overall increase the health of the pond, it looks like we need an aeration system.

My question is, what type of aeration system do you have and how do you like it? Are there any preferred brands or manufacturers?
The Vertex units look good to me. I do not think a windmill is a good fit for our location since we don’t get much wind down in the woods where we live. Please give me some feedback on your systems.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by grasshopper; 06/02/08 06:54 PM.