PO's post back in November inspired me to give the tilapia another chance since I am in about the same climate as he. While researching the subject I came across a professor at a University about 15 miles from me that has a tilapia program already in place. I pitched the idea of stocking tilapia in Ohio ponds for their obvious benefits. I also acknowledged the drawbacks of our short season here. He is willing to give me "several hundred" 2" fish. The only condition is I have to take them in the next two weeks!

I obviously can't stock them now (ice on the pond Saturday) so the problem was overwintering them until the water temp is 62 deg.=late May or early June. The tilapia will need enough time to grow large enough to escape bass predation as well. I was considering constructing a "rubbermaid" system similar to one Bruce Condello is using for perch or even setting up several aquariums like Eastland. The wife already shot down the trout stream in the basement idea so I knew a project of this size would be a hard sell.

The local tech school has a greenhouse so I asked them if they would be interested in housing such a project if I provide the tank, feed, fish. The program that is using the greenhouse is a combination of landscape mgmt., pond mgmt., and horticulture and I thought this would fit in nicely. It just so happens that they have a 4000 gallon tank not being used but they do not have a heater or filtration and they do not have room in their greenhouse. They do however have room in one of their classrooms. The room is kept between 65 and 70 deg. They estimated that a heater and filtration system will likely cost about $750. The heater alone about $500 and they are not sure if they can secure enough funds.

So, here are my questions:
#1 What size heater will we need to keep the water temp. at 75 deg.?
#2 How big will they grow to, starting from 2"now, by Early June? I think I read something like .02 percent per day but I hoped someone could give me a round-a-bout estimate.
#3 Given the size scenario in #2 will filtration be need for 400 fish in a 4000 gal. tank if aerated?
#4 Anyone know where to get a cheap heater or will it even be needed?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking