Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Grimes:
Ml, you did not answer do you think the pond was greener, les vis, than prior to tilapia?, thanks
Greg,

My apology...got caught up in a side discussion on HSB. You asked an interesting question and after my answer, I'm most interested in your thoughts, please.

In the experimental pond that was renovated within the past two years and restocked, I do not have a baseline before and after Tilapia on the 'Green" factor. However, I will say that I have observed it to be remarkably green even without fertilizers or the presence of livestock. It is an isolated pond, completely alone most of the time....receives no runoff fertilizers either from any source I know of. It is limed, as are all my ponds. Why it is "green" (18 inches all summer and even until just recently) has been a mystery to me, but you may have very well explained it.

My other 4 acre pond has always had a green tint to it. I have always assumed that was becasue of the heavy livestock presence in the areas that drain into that pond. I must say, now that you have questioned me, it has had a slightly greener tint in the last two years with Tilapia. I wish I had exact measurements to give you on water clarity, but do not. Okay, your turn. Thanks.