Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Grimes:
I just wanted to clarify b/c I thought you said helathy bass are less likely to chase a lure?
Greg,

I never said that, thought it, or even dreamed it.

However, I'm sure someone will research the archives in an attempt to prove otherwise.

What I have said is that pure strain Florida LMB in small ponds with high fishing pressure and artificial feeding become lure shy. I said that because I've observed it repeatedly.

In solving any problem that has complex variables, it is common practice to attempt to isolate one variable and hold all the others constant. I once tried to explain this by saying that "all other things being equal" a LMB that has to hunt for its forage rather than lie in wait at the feeder is likely to be more aggressive than the LMB fed to satiation at the feeders. Yes, I still believe that.

Thanks EWEST for providing the studies and to Casca for providing his experience.

Perhaps now most of us can agree that the introduction of Tilapia can indeed increase BG populations. If we can agree on that, then it should not be a diffficult extension of logic to say that yes, indeed if the BG populations increase with the addition of Tilapia, especially in the small BG class size, then yes it is possible that the introduction of Tilapia could indeed provide results comparable to artificial feeding. By results, I'm referring to the weight and health of the LMB predators.

If I can get comparable weight gains from LMB in a pond with Tilapia vs a pond with artificial feeding (and I have demonstrated that to myself in one year on an experimental F1 pond), I know which method I'm going to follow. In addition, on the far out chance that the hypothesis I advanced on a negative correlation of artificial feeding to LMB aggressiveness (all other things being equal, remember) has any merit whatsoever, then I'm also inclined to pursue the approach that eliminates that possibility without adverse impacts (The only impact I can see is that I may not be able to raise 10 inch plus BG in a short time like I can in an artificially fed pond).

I see no unmitigated risks in terms of weight gain in LMB. Tilapia cost less than artificial feed...even at $10 per pound. Tilapia do not introduce the large amounts of waste created by artificial feeding and further, they utilize algae which is otherwise wasted, or worse, treated with chemicals to kill and add mass to pond bottoms. Yes, I am an unabashed fan of Tilapia. I prefer them greatly over chemicals and/or other artificial substances.