Shew!Gosh! So much reading and analyzing. Now I am going to throw another monkey-wrench in. Yesterday evening we went to the grocery about 8 miles away--we live on a farm in the country-side. Along the country road coming back from the grocery to the main road as I'm going around a curve on the country road my eye catches something on the side, I immediately say "Look at that large catfish!" (mind you, this wasn't there before enroute). You should have seen the look my husband gave me (like I was a crazy woman! He didn't believe me. I had to stop and backup the car the curve and pull over on the side of the road. My husband had to get out and go look at it--he just didn't believe it was a fish, he said it must be some kind of road kill. I said, No it is a fish! Believe it or not, there lay on the side of the road an approx 15" beautiful, dead, catfish. Not from my pond I assure you, it was at least 2 miles away from our pond. We had a good laugh trying to figure out how it got there (we know there is a pond delivery truck that passes on the road, maybe??).

Which brings up the question many of you are answering, how long would a fish live out of the water?... how quick the transfer would have to happen? ...birds fly pretty fast and just maybe, if intercepted by another, they drop their catch, large bird? Maybe a cat or such found it in a creek and dropped it here, but then it didn't look attacked or anything, didn't smell?

It just made me really, really think about the question that started this thread, answers I read and I have come to the conclusion anything is possible after seeing this fish on the side of the road in the middle of no-where ...............weirder things happen.................Dot

Last edited by MarkECIN; 05/24/08 01:55 AM.