I got some information from Adam Hater at Jones Fish Farm regarding my question. Here is his reply:

David,

With the information that you provided me with in your email, the proposed 5 acre lake already sounds great. Jones Fish Hatchery specializes in setting up different or unusual stocking recommendations such as the one you mentioned. Species such as yellow perch, walleye, and smallmouth bass will thrive in a lake that has 5 surface acres and is 18’ deep. The proposed 18’ of depth is more than sufficient to support the species mentioned above. In fact, we have seen great success with walleye and smallmouth in lakes that are as shallow as 10’. The best advice I can provide you with, in regards to alternative gamefish stocking is, not to add largemouth bass. Largemouth bass will out-compete the other gamefish species mentioned above.

Also, the addition of a sub-surface diffused aeration system is important to the well being of the cooler water gamefish. Due to the proposed depth (18’), aerating with sub-surface diffusers are very efficient and should control many of the nuisance weeds and algae that are likely to develop. After the lake is constructed, we will be able to help you determine how much equipment is needed for proper aeration.

Lastly, Jones Fish Hatchery offers free delivery throughout the entire State of Indiana with a $150.00 order. However, our facility is only 100 miles from Louisville Ky. If you would like to visit our facility, I would certainly encourage you to do so. Please provide me with your mailing address, so I can send you our 2005 catalog. This will include all fish sizes, prices, as well as a map to our facility in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Thank you,

Adam Hater
General Manager
Jones Fish and Lake Management
1-800-662-FISH