Well, my prep. list continues to grow. As mentioned in other posts, I am between construction phases of a 5a project. An access road is cut in, the timber is cleared, and my pockets are MT. It's kinda odd how the "MT pockets" thing turned out to be a blessing in that it has caused me to take time out after clearing and wait 'til next year to build the dam and bottom-scape. Darn good thing, too, because you guys are really opening my eyes to the multitude of pre-water advantages during construction. So, the next consideration.....
I want to add a sand beach. Nothing more than about 100' square, maybe half in the water. The area chosen is a nice gentle slope near the future homesite. The area (as is the surrounding basin) is currently a layer of about 3 feet of silt/topsoil with about 30 ft of clay beneath. I don't want to disturb the beach zone because it is the exact grade I want and matches the adjacent shore. This means that I plan to build a sand beach on top of this silt/topsoil base, maybe cutting a 12" deep core to accept a bed of sand.
My thoughts: Do I need a fabric to contain the sand bed AND minimize weed growth? Is this a mistake to lay this sand bed on the silt/topsoil...should I remove the topsoil and replace the grade with clay (hoping "no")? What are all the subsequent "good ideas" related to this facet that I'm not thinkin' of?
Your thoughts...?