Bob:

Hola from the world wide web!

I'm trying to decide when to release 20 feed trained Redears into my new pond. They range in size from about 6" to just over 9". It just filled this last Winter, and though the water has a nice green tinge and there is a small bit of FA on the bottom along the shoreline, there isn't much for RES to eat other than the 10 lbs of FHM I stocked 2 weeks ago. I will be feeding them Aquamax (which is what they are used to) once they go in.

My one reason for hurrying the process is to try and get a spawn out of them this year. Last year, I put their 6 biggest brothers and sisters into my other pond during the first week of May, when water temps were about 70 degrees. I saw 2 of them on spawning nests within a couple of weeks. One was definitely a male and remained on the nest until his fry swam up, while the other I only saw a couple of times and I have no idea what sex it was.

Right now water temps are about 63 degrees F. I could go ahead and put the feedtrained RES in the new pond now if that would increase the odds of their spawning successfully. OTOH if the odds aren't changed or if they are lousy since the fish have been indoors at a constant temperature all Winter, I think might as well wait until the water warms up some more and there are baby FHM to eat in addition to the Aquamax and whatever invertebrates show up.

What do you think of the odds of a successful spawn and the timing of putting the RES in the pond?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]