Bob-O, interesting question and I'm not sure how well fatheads orient to structure except when spawning. I generally find bunches of them pretty well dispersed and quite often in shallower water (sometimes less than 2 to 3 inches)that is devoid of cover. I have also walked the perimeter of a small pond tossing food to them. I have a bunch of one to five ft deep brush structure in the upper end of one of my my ponds. It sticks out of the water and I often tossed feed into it. Never saw a fathead there, just BG.

About 3 years ago, I stocked a guys pond who wanted no brush cover. I put some decent sized logs and tree stumps in the water. They extended from the bank into about 4 ft. of water and were weighted on the end. The fatheads did use them for spawning.

Their value as a kick off forage is that they are a slow swimming, shallow water fish. However, I once saw a pretty good sized school of them fleeing some newly stocked CCs about 50 yds from shore. Of course, I have no idea where the herding started.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP