Kevin -- By MSU website, I assume you mean that great information at Mississippi State University?

I don't know where Dunbar is (I even checked my atlas!) in Nebraska. However, I really doubt that you need to lime your pond. The MSU folks are down in the southeastern part of the country where the high rainfall leads to infertile, leached soils. Low soil fertility equals low pond fertility. The ponds thus often are fertilized to increase productivity (increase the weight of fish that can be supported in the pond), but this technique does not work in waters with low alkalinity. So, they lime the ponds to increase the alkalinity, so they can then fertilize. Whew! Long-winded, aren't I?

Anyway, I doubt that there are many places in Nebraska with infertile soils or with low alkalinity in ponds. You might check the alkalinity before you go to the time and expense of liming. This is not a standard technique in the fertile plains states.

Any other Nebraska pondmeisters out there?? Have any of you checked your alkalinity? I'll bet it's way above the 20 ppm standard below which the MSU website indicates you should lime the pond.

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.