Based on the interest shown by the number of threads on Hybrid Striped Bass recently, I want to share my one year experience with HSB.

Our 3 year old, two acre pond is located in N.E. Texas.

As an avid striped bass fisherman of many years and an occasional HSB fisherman on local lakes, I am very familiar with the sporting potential of this species, especially on fly tackle.

Our original stocking plan consisted of the recommended numbers of Largemouth Bass, Coppernose Blue Gill, RedEar Sunfish, and Channel Catfish.

HSB were not considered at that time since the state biologists I consulted said they would likely not survive, but I proceeded to do further research from Pond Boss archives.

I could find no one in our area with HSB experience and I know dozens of pond owners.
They primarily manage for LMB or catfish, or both.

I consulted with Keo Fish Farms, which I found to be the experts, and most helpful in guiding me to suppliers that might be able to help.

Bill Cody was very helpful in providing aeration advise and products.
Greg Grimes provided automatic feeder information and high protein fish food information.

About this time last year we began our HSB program, having attained a well balanced population of our original stockers.

We stocked 100, 4-6 inch fingerlings, after installing a bottom membrane diffuser aeration system, an automatic Stren fish feeder with a supply of AquaMax high protein fish food.

I was alarmed immediately when the LMB began exploding upon a few of the newly released fingerlings and concluded that perhaps it was a bad idea after all, so proceeded to plan for a good fishing pond for family and friends.

As time went on we observed some feeding activity on the outskirts of feeder pattern and thought maybe some fingerlings survived, and when spring arrived we observed “silver streaks” when feeding.

Everything in my tackle box was tried and failed to catch and nothing worked, and again perceived failure.

When cooler weather arrived we observed violent feeding activity and the grandkids were getting their lines broken more often.

My wife was also getting her leader broken when fishing a small popper.

The rest of the story:

I spent a couple of very enjoyable mornings and evenings on the pond last week and I got broke off using a 5# leader on a 5wt fly rod, while fishing a fairly large popping bug.

I changed from landing as if a bluegill to playing the fish out in open water, and landed my first HSB!
11 inches – ¾ pound on spring scale.

We have no idea how many fingerlings survived, but will soon stock an additional 50 fingerlings. I have read 15-20 HSB per acre with a good feeding program is recommended. If we have too many will take some for table fare.

I’m looking forward to some real fighters in the future and excited about the “perceived” success of our program.

By sharing this experience, I hope it may help shorten the path to a successful HSB fishery for others.

Excuse the length of the post.
George Glazener