Rob:

The short battery run time problem is dead easy to solve. I have an extra 2 packs and start the session with all three charged. After that, I use a "field charger" that runs off 12 volts ... from your car cigarette lighter and fast charges the battery in only about 15 to 20 minutes while you are running one of the other two. You can be running continuously with one pack cooling, one charging, and the 3rd one in the boat.

These boats use the same battery packs as is found in common RC cars and aren't all that expensive.

In "Sub Hunting Mode" my boat lasts about probably 45 minutes to an hour, as it is done at a low throttle setting. So in reality, the short running times are not an issue.

I've run a lot of gas engines over the decades and when you figure in the cost of fuel and supporting accessories, plus the sometimes "finiky nature" of the small displacement engines, electrics are the way to go. With just a little study on batteries, you can get to the point where its just "flip the switch and go enjoy yourself" as opposed to messing around with an engine which seems to be fighting you every step of the way.

RC submarines are my thing now, and they have video cameras which can work either by radio to a receiver on the shore, or self-contained and recorded on SD cards. My favorite site for sub stuff is http://www.subpirates.com .. take a look, lots of pretty neat technology there. Unfortunately, not a beginner's sort of project.

The thing to watch here is that the "pool toy" category of boat will disappoint you quite quickly and generally are not well built. Moving up, either by upgrading the radio and motor in the pool toy, or going with a "real RC boat" from the get-go will pay off fast.

If I can be of any help, just let me know. I really enjoy this stuff.

Regards,
Lee

Last edited by Lee Smith; 02/28/08 02:58 PM.