Thanks for more good questions. Artificially stocked LMB would be feed-trained, but naturally introduced LMB would not be feed-trained. So you can almost guarantee good growth rates for trained LMBs, but not for natural stocks. I would suggest the 50/50 ratio because I've seen it work well in the past. Take care to not stock too few feed-trained LMBs, for they might go off feed. Feed-trained LMB juveniles will feed on pellets in a school. Stock too few and for some reason they don't feel the competitive heat and will probably go off feed. I've had good results with 50+ feed-trained LMB per acre, but they must be at least 6" in size for best results. A competitive school of HSBs will also help to keep LMBs on feed when they are introduced.

In my experience, the feed-trained LMBs do not exhibit hook-shyness to the extend of their untrained relatives. I've seen them caught one after another, years after the original stocking, but I've also seen them shut off. It's still fishing, but feed-trained LMBs will give you better fishing in general. Some degree of hook-shyness should not disuade you from stocking LMBs anyway, especially since you will need them to control sunfish numbers.

I like growing and catching HSBs more than LMBs, but I realize the need to have these big-mouth predators for sunfish control. If you are going to have LMBs, why not grow some fat ones.

With high protein pellets AND a natural food base you should observe stellar growth rates.

I want to make it clear that my ideas and recommendations are not intended to be the final word or final post of this thread, even though I joined the thread a bit late. I am here to learn just like the rest of us, so I want to know what everyone thinks about Mike's plan. After all, I expect to get his pond and fish results posted on the forum in the future.

It's ALL about the fish!