Another one of the professors here did a study comparing diploid and triploid rainbow trout in ponds in western South Dakota. As most readers probably know, South Dakota gets the full range of temperatures, and the pond surface waters can get warm at times in the summer. Thus, it's not always prime habitat for trout from a temperature perspective.

Well, the triploids did not perform as well as diploids in those ponds. That was strange, as they did not develop gonads, and no energy thus went to reproductive products. It turned out that is was a functional problem. The triploid red blood cells were larger than diploid red blood cells because of the extra genetic material in the nucleus [I'm NOT making this up!! :)]. As a result, the triploids actually could carry less oxygen in their bloodstream because there were fewer red blood cells in their body. In waters of the correct temperature, the triploids would out-perform the diploids. In waters with marginal habitat, the stressed triploids did worse than the diploids.

I'm not sure exactly how this relates to LMB, but I figured some of you would find it interesting.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.