Dave and George I have to keep reminding myself (now you guys) that when I do research that the studies have to be read very carefully and to not try to extrapolate to much from them. That is what frustrates all of us.

The same basic data collected in the Neal studies (3 papers I think from the same data) is from ponds in NC. The HSB (2 sizes less than a pound IIRC) were stocked into existing ponds with adult Fish (LMB , BC , GShad, and BG/RES/PS and others). That alone should discount the mort #s. They also had water quality problems. Two years of data. Excellent peer reviewed studies they are not wrong just, like all studies limited to the question being researched (can you put advanced fingerling HSB into existing ponds with fish and what will the results be).

Forget the GShad. They were included in the study because they were a good source of food for adult fish. TShad or GShiners would be better. Dave Shad are also Clupeids. The clupeids (clupeidae , herrings - GShad , TShad, blueback herring , alewife and are all are open water fish - pelagic) just like the HSB ( right niche) and have outstanding value as forage for predator fish (high protein and lipids , right size and shape and high #s).

I have edited the prior post (note red) the points from the study I though interesting for this thread. Take a look.

Last edited by ewest; 01/19/08 06:10 PM.