Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Interesting article Eric.
I wonder about the 33-58% mortality rate that they claim and do realize that they are talking about small HSB that are preying on larval centarchids (bluegill). If that's true, then HSB would be a total financial bust for most of us. Of course, they did not identify the reasons for the mortality rate.

I believe Bruce has more experience and knowledge about HSB predation and mortality rate than anyone on the forum and would seek his response.
I know that mortality has been discussed on previous HSB threads but links cannot be accessed on new server.

I attempted to validate the 33–58% per year (Neal et al. 1999) % mortality rate but could not access the cited paper (“The article you have requested is available via Journal Subscription, or Article Purchase”), so why should we accept this number without further qualification?
I see no mention of common aeration practices mentioned in the paper, which IMO has a dramatic effect on HSB survival.
Eric, can you elaborate?

I can live with these mortality numbers due to maintaining a “put and take” fishery by an annual stocking “ladder” of large HSB.
In main ~2 acre pond, we presently catch at least one or more 4-5 # class HSB each outing – I can live with that!!!!

I am approaching our second year with a HSB/BG pond and answers to HSB controlling BG numbers are inconclusive at this time.
Since there is no structure or aquatic vegetation in this pond, I am assuming cold water temps have driven small BG from the shallow bank area into deeper warm water for a HSB banquet.
2-3# class HSB are in this un-aerated ¼ acre pond but larger sizes maybe transferred from 2 acre main pond this spring if small surviving BG numbers remain high.

Regardless of the literature citing specific temp feeding numbers, our HSB feed all winter long with rising temps trends above 45 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

My question is what constitutes a viable prey fish for HSB in a North Texas farm pond? I don't like Gizzard Shad and Threadfin mortality during our low temperatures makes them suspect as a viable(sustainable) prey.

I am not concerned about adequate forage for HSB as stated in the paper, since a high protein-feeding program is in place and a commonly accepted practice.

Last edited by george1; 01/19/08 08:34 AM. Reason: typos

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)