Mike,

Those are some pretty neat photos.

One thing that really stands out on your trout is the red stripe. I was down at my pond about noontime today, after the very heavy overnight rain, and then the really brilliant sunshine starting mid-morning. At noon-time, my water was in the mid-40s.

I threw in a few feed pellets to try and view the trout. They responded quickly.

We've been under ice for the past couple of weeks. I put in a line and pulled out one rainbow. Mine are very brownish-gold on top, very white on the bottom, with virtually no red/rainbow in the middle like yours. My goldens have also lost their red stripe. They are now very yellow/gold on top, and very white on the bottom. The gold just fades to white down their sides.

I guess our air temperature is a few degrees cooler than yours, and since I'm watershed fed, my water kind of follows the air temp. No midges up here today.

But, it seems that when anything interesting falls on the water, the trout like to check it out. Mine seem to be anything but lethargic, even when part of the pond is frozen. They just seem to be smart enough to recognize hooks and lines.

I'll be passing right past your place next Friday morning and again on Saturday evening. I'm planning on attending the WV Aquaculture forum in Charleston. ( Aquaculture Forum in Charleston) You're welcome to ride along. They should have some pretty good fish treats to sample.

Ken

(I stopped by Joe G's house last week. He has two new "fish arrows" and is waiting for your grass carp to get active.)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!