Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Jeff,

I have had my dog run the same heron off time after time. I have made loud noises, etc. etc. only to have one fly off a little ways and wait me out -- whether it be in a tall tree or in the nearby cornfield. Then the bird is back. I have used strings placed along the shore to discourage them. I have very steep banks they are not supposed to be able to feed on. Wrong! They are a very adaptive and clever bird. In many ways I respect them. I believe if they have found a good thing they will be back. And considering we can't always be there...

Jeez, persistent birds aren't they. I should have remembered this but in 2006 there was a large heron (we get large white herons and a small brown heron) that was patrolling the shore and enjoying his fill of fish. I paddled the kayak over the the shoreline and waived my arms and yelled - the heron just cocked his head and looked at me. So I paddled closer and back slapped the water with my kayak paddle and splashed the heron. He then turned towards me and spread out his wings and flapped them at me. Standing at full height and with his wings spread out and with his long sharp beak he was an impressive critter. I decided that I wouldn't disturb his meal anymore. I could just picture myself trying to fend off a 4 foot bird intent on stabbing my eyes out while paddling furiously away in the kayak. All I could think of was the Monty Python line.....

"Run away, run way, run away"

Anyhoo, hopefully you'll get your permit Cecil and end the problem.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)