I'm not surprised with it being fed by the Red and Washita Rivers, both good sized rivers that have pretty good sized flood plains and slews in the spring, and from the links posted saying they like flood plains to spawn in.

Striped Bass also like to spawn in rivers and actually reproduce in Texhoma. It has been a long time since I read the piece but I think it is the only lake or one of a very few where there is documentation of stripped bass spawning in a lake. It also said that although Texhoma is fresh water is has a higher salt content than most fresh water impoundments.

I remember fishing at night AG's would swim so close to shore in the clear shallow water you see their outlines as swam by. Like that one link said they would just sometimes float in one place on the surface for a long time before moving on. There were gobs of them. I was surprised to read they were endangered in so many places. At Texhoma back then it was common to catch while catfishing at night and their dead corpuses were everywhere stinking up the shore line hooks still in their teethy monster looking mouths. As a young boy I always wanted to catch one because they looked so dangerous, I am different too GW, but when I mentioned it was scolded.

Last edited by Bill Webb; 11/05/07 10:40 PM.

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!