Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
The predator/prey balance is a constant concern for a pond owner who wants a well managed pond. Too many fish in a pond causes water quality problems and Mama Nature always gets even.

Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Excellent point Dave. Its real easy as a pond meister to have a tendency use adding more fish as a solution to a pond problem. My guess is that many times simply selective culling would be better than adding more biomass. To me it parallels a home aquarium, which probably most of us have had at one time or another. You always want to add a new colorful fish. And then one day you have a tank chock full of fishies and suddenly you have water quality issues. It never occurred to me (dense at times, I'll admit it) that a pond is a huge aquarium but without a forced filtration system and for many of us without aeration and without a 20% water change every week or two. The whole idea of calculating total biomass per volume of water was a revelation to me.

Great points from both of you. So, just for clarification...Do you guys think I am "pushing the envelope", or going beyond what is feasible? I don't mind the challenge if it is doable, it helps keep me interested in my hobbies. I have a tendancy to try unconventional things, sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't, but it makes things fun and rewarding in the long run.

Last edited by bbjr; 11/05/07 08:49 PM. Reason: format quotes

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp