Hi Matt:

I didn't miss the point, you hit the mark right on when you said large is more forgiving. My daughter started a worm farm project in a coffee can a couple of months ago and they are part of the dirt now. I just dont want to fool with it now and the rubbermaid tub doesnt cost much, but in the spring I'll buy more crawfish and throw the whole lot into my "kind of pond" that over flows into my real pond. A few weeks ago there was a major crawfish discussion and when I got I bought my F-1 LMB and CNBG I mentioned Todd Overton fished me out 4 crawfish. There is nothing much to post. I put some pea gravel into the tub with about 4 or 5 inches of water and threw the crawfish in. No filtration, or aeration. Every few days throw in a few fish food pellets and every couple of weeks tilt it up where I dip out most of the old dirty water and droppings out (never can get all but enough) and put in fresh water. I am dealing with 4 crawfish in a big tub not an intensive operation like most on this forum. I also heap up gravel where they can get above water if they like. They seem healthy and happy and big and mean. What else could I ask.

Back to worms.

In the spring after there are heavy rains I have places where there are thick layers of leaves that is thick with huge native night crawlers. I probably will just use it as a collection tub, I really want to do what an uncle of mine used to have.

He had an old chest freezer (not stand up)but anything cheap but that size would do that could be closed up tight. He put in a thick layer of gravel at the bottom for drainage and then filled it with dirt to between 1/2 and 3/4's full. He could close it durning bad weather and there still would be enough air for them and he could keep out the rain. It was wide enough and deep enough (here anyway)for the worms not to freeze and he grew lots of worms. After it gets going it wouldn't take anymore time to keep up with something like that than something small. And I would have lots more than I could use and probably could sell a few here and there since I am sandwiched between two over twenty mile long lakes.

I remember he just fed his table scraps. They love left over salad stuff, beans, cantelope, cumuber, and water mellon rines. I was always amazed at how much stuff and how fast they could turn scraps into thick rich soil.

But what your doing will work and you'll have fun. I got crawfish in the house to play with now. \:\/

Last edited by Bill Webb; 11/04/07 10:38 PM.

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!