I'm certainly not an expert. But the same thing happened to me the first year. I had put in pallets like I was told to for them to lay eggs on but either I didn't get the water levels right or there just wasn't enough of them.

The next spring (one year later) I bought some more and this time sunk a bunch of logs and brush at various depths. I never had a problem after that.

On that thought, my bass disappeared that first year too, and I did not restock them. I have heard now that I have stocked adult LMB most of my FH's will be gone by the third year. Another thing I did wrong, with the advise of my fingerling supplier was feeding catfish food that I think was way too large for the baby fish, they could eat FH's a lot easier. But I think my main problem was not enough quality nesting areas. They really like brush piles, and not just large logs but branchs, brambles, and all. Now they are really thick all around the pond.

My water still has some green ting to it, but it is mostly brown looking. It has happened before, it is a plankton die off because of the cold front that just came through. If it warms up it might turn green again but if it rains a lot and I have an overflow and or it stays cold it will go back to a clear black looking color until the weather warms up next spring and I fertilize. My water also has more visability now with the brown even though it looks uglier because there isn't as much plankton except for the dead stuff which will eventually clear out.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bill Webb; 10/25/07 01:26 AM.

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!