Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
!#!#!#!, Matt1414, BobMoff, unclewilco, audio21
15654 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15655 Members
36 Forums
36027 Topics
490167 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19534
Dave Davidson1 13562
Bill Cody 12470
Who's Online
16 registered (Flame, wbuffetjr, SENKOSAM, BobMoff, Theo Gallus, Redonthehead, highflyer, Heppy, jludwig, Quarter Acre, KW35, Tom M, RStringer, bigpullerman, Brettski, Bill Cody), 179 Guests and 487 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#497164 - 10/03/18 12:48 PM Re: Fall feeding [Re: bassmaster61]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
This the third day of sunshine after nearly two weeks of heavy cloud cover for me, so I'm hoping to see a change in the feeding soon. I'd like to be able to use up what feed I've got before it gets too cool.

Update: Today's feeding went much better!! I guess I've spoilded them with the hydrated pellets. They don't seem to like coming up for the dry feed near as much as when its been softened a bit. I think the softer food is putting off a lot more scent when it hits the water. Either way, they're eating better.

Edited by Mike Whatley (10/03/18 08:33 PM)

#497249 - 10/06/18 11:48 AM Re: Fall feeding [Re: bassmaster61]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
In most years, I don't think your fish will slow down much when it comes to feeding. I am north of you and my fish will feed 365 but I have seen a couple of really cold winters here in my life but did not have a pond then and I think they might slow down during those two or three cold winters over the past 30 years. Bob Lusk said feed as long as they will eat if you want some big uns. smile
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#497255 - 10/06/18 05:49 PM Re: Fall feeding [Re: Mike Whatley]
anthropic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
This the third day of sunshine after nearly two weeks of heavy cloud cover for me, so I'm hoping to see a change in the feeding soon. I'd like to be able to use up what feed I've got before it gets too cool.

Update: Today's feeding went much better!! I guess I've spoilded them with the hydrated pellets. They don't seem to like coming up for the dry feed near as much as when its been softened a bit. I think the softer food is putting off a lot more scent when it hits the water. Either way, they're eating better.

Great news, Mike. I agree with Tracy that you should continue feeding so long as the fish will eat it. In your neck of the woods, that may well 365 days a year.

Gets colder up here, all the way down to 10F last winter, though that's unusual.

#497256 - 10/06/18 06:29 PM Re: Fall feeding [Re: bassmaster61]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I did a surface temp and PH test this morning. The aerator was still running when I tossed the thermometer in, just a few feet from the boil. The areator had been running nearly 6 hrs. I hope this method gives me an idea of what the deeper depth temps are doing without going out on the boat. Anyway, the surface temp at 7:30am was still at 81*f. PH tested at 7.0 on my wide range 5 drop test kit. No sunshine to speak of today as its been raining on and off all day. (I'm wondering if I may need to expand the run time due to all this cloud cover).

Feeding today was all dry again (if you don't consider the rain), using the last batch of my 50/50 mix of Game Fish Chow and AM500. I have enough of that to probably get thru most of October, then its straight AM500 after that. They ate...but not with much enthusiasm.

Last winter was the coldest I can remember here since 1985, with temps in the 20s for a week. I have no idea how cold the water got as I wasn't really paying much attention to the pond then, due to building the house. As long as they act remotely interested in eating, I'll be throwing pellets, tho. Being able to hand feed, its easy to adjust to how they're feeding day to day.

The pond is completely full and overflowing a couple inches into my 6" drain pipe.

#497340 - 10/09/18 08:26 AM Re: Fall feeding [Re: bassmaster61]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
I seem to remember that cold spell last year. My water temps dropped down to the low 40's at or near the surface. I just new I had lost all of my TFS. And I had a good number of them in the pond. But I discovered in June that my TFS had survived that cold snap and they are doing well and are all over the pond right now. I have no idea how they survived, must have hunkered down in the deeper pools.

Edited by TGW1 (10/09/18 08:26 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Today's Birthdays
harvey dupriest, LeighAnn
Recent Posts
Hello from Central Texas
by BobMoff
6 minutes 34 seconds ago
Howdy from Texas
by BobMoff
7 minutes 14 seconds ago
Hi, everyone!
by BobMoff
8 minutes 16 seconds ago
Stocking Plan
by Heppy
37 minutes 15 seconds ago
Happy Birthday LeighAnn!!
by Bill Cody
Today at 09:58 AM
One acre pond on hillside
by Redonthehead
Today at 09:44 AM
Progress At The Farm..........
by highflyer
Today at 08:00 AM
Automatic Siphon System;
by Heppy
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
New Pond - Starting Construction
by KW35
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Amazing the variety of soft plastic fish attack
by SENKOSAM
Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID
Vegetation ID
Our new pond
CNBG
My Best Longear so far

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide