Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,935
Posts557,705
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
11 members (e_stallman, homewardbound, Mainer, canyoncreek, catscratch, Abaggs, Sunil, Donatello, FireIsHot, Shorthose, Theo Gallus), 771 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Folks,

Despite all the cautioning against it I have gotten over the years, my wife and I are determined to create and manage a fishery (2-3 are pond here in northern Virginia) primarily for crappie, simply because that is by far our favorite warmwater species, and we just can't stand catfish, bluegill, or largemouth. We also have such great memories of catching good-sized crappie out of various farm ponds in the woods where I grew up that hadn't been stocked or tended in over a century, and still produced great fish.

We will be using smallmouth (we actually kind of like eating them, and love fighting them) as the apex predator to keep numbers in check; are going to place a ton of artificial habitat (pallets for FHM and shiner spawning, gravel and spawning discs for the game fish, Pond Guy Honey Hole Trees, Logs, and Shrubs for cover, etc.); and a forage pond for FHM, crawfish, and PK Shrimp. Therefore, with us harvesting a lot of crappie and good pond design - and we are sparing no expense on that - we think we can get a good, sustainable crappie fishery.

My question is, I have read from many sources lots of conflicting information about the differences and similarities of management of black and white crappie in small impoundments. Most tend to agree that crappie are difficult at best in small waters, but the divergence seems to be on whether both species (Black and White) are about the same in pond suitability, or whether the BCP are significantly better.

I was initially planning to play it safe and just stock BCP, but it seems all the good hatcheries around here (Zett's, Delmarva Aquatics, etc.) only have mixed-species supply. Although the farm pond crappie I grew up catching and to which I introduced my wife in her first experiences with warmwater fishing are all BCP, my biggest crappie ever was a WCP, and I have a special place in my heart for them.

BCP and WCP are both pretty fish, and it would be nice to have the variety in our pond, but I want to hear from you fine folks on what you think and have learned about whether BCP and WCP are equally challenging in ponds, or whether I should find a source that is free of WCP. As much as I think having both could be cool, if it gives me a better chance for a well-managed pond, I will gladly stick to BCP.

Thanks!

I'm not sure you can manage BCP or WCP with smallmouth at all. They have trouble with bluegill so I'm not sure how they'd manage a crappie. If your goal is dinner-sized crappie then you might have to compromise on the apex predator and go with them green carp (LMB wink ).

Hybrid crappie are also an option but I don't know enough about them to help you. I hope one of our cool water fishery experts will weigh in here.

Last edited by Bocomo; 05/18/18 06:17 PM.
P
P
I have a 5 ac pond with BCP CC LMB BC and BG and after 4 yrs the BCP have not got out of hand at all for whatever reason.in fact I think they have gotten off only one successful spawn. My point is that you need a predator(s) to keep them down . And lots for them to eat, shad, shiners, YOY BG

PS I haven’t tried White crappie so can’t help you there

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 05/18/18 10:13 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by Abaggs - 04/16/24 08:57 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by catscratch - 04/16/24 06:54 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?