Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cmwmorel, 3X8, txbluefish, d-a, MCrabtree
15539 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15540 Members
36 Forums
35799 Topics
487373 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24028
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19407
Dave Davidson1 13486
Bill Cody 12412
Who's Online
2 registered (Pond Star, Centrarchid), 89 Guests and 410 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#490197 - 05/17/18 12:25 PM New system design questions
wildblue Offline

Loc: Ohio
After a lot of searching and reading on here, I think I have a plan but am looking for any suggestions or guidance. Wanting to keep the fish/pond healthy and would also like to get at least a little surface movement.

I have about a 3/4 acre pond, about 14' at the deep end. I wouldn't even call it oval, more of a rounded rectangle smile ~ 100' x 325'

I have an outbuilding ~ 350' from the deep end. From what I've found, it might make the most sense to run air out there (and keep the compressor in the barn) vs running electric or putting a solar setup in. It's pretty much all downhill from the barn to the pond edge, I was only going to bury it a few inches.
So 1/4-1/3 HP compressor? RV or piston? Should 1 diffuser be enough? Placed in the center of the deeper 1/3rd of the pond. I was thinking of running a slightly larger air line to the edge so (1/2"?) I'd at least have the option of putting in a second, then just 50' weighted line in the water.
Any opinions / brand recommendations welcome. A lot of what I've been reading on here for similar situations was a number of years old, so I apologize if you might be repeating yourself.

#490203 - 05/17/18 01:31 PM Re: New system design questions [Re: wildblue]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
Welcome Wildblue!

I am in a similar situation as you...I have been designing my aeration system too. I have not installed it yet. Going to the hardware store after work to get more supplies.

If you do not want electric at the pond then you are with the norm of burying airline instead of wire. I think you will find that most will recommend 1/2" to 1" ID air line so that more diffusers can be added without retrenching and adding more underground line. I am putting three 1/2" lines from my little pump house to the waters edge for each of my diffusers so that the control valves are not out in the weather, then using 5/8" weighted hose out into the water.

If you can throw a little more money at the project, I suggest you consider adding another diffuser or two in the shallows for winter time use to keep a hole open. A 1/4 to 1/3 HP pump should run 3 or 4 diffusers so why not add them. With your pond size, you need to run some calculations to really determine how many diffusers it will take to turn the water over at least once a day.

The RV pumps will not pump into deeper water like the piston pumps, but a good RV pump will get to 10 foot easily. Look into the Gast 0523 pump (for DIY)or Pondlyfe systems that use a piston pump. Scott at Hoosier Pond Pros is a good source for info and products. He is also a member here.

Many will advise putting the diffuser/s in the deepest part of the pond to maximize O2 throughout the pond, but others are advising to put them at the 2/3rds depth so that a cooler area can be maintained for heat relief.

I hope that I have given you some things to noodle around.

Today's Birthdays
floatinflowers, Robbie Roberson, Tony Beltrani
Recent Posts
Pond Boss Forum get together in SE Kansas
by snrub
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
Fish identification
by Pat Williamson
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Paddlefish
by MOFishermen
Yesterday at 09:41 PM
Brown floating guck new pond
by JEB
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Building a garage-apartment with a pond view
by ewest
Yesterday at 08:47 PM
How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?!
by Stevie Ray Pond
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
Minnow trap is ineffective on GSF...
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 08:32 PM
Indiana crawfish
by Centrarchid
Yesterday at 07:51 PM
Facebook Live 8.15.18- Amenities around your pond
by LeighAnn
Yesterday at 04:45 PM
Setterguy