Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Strat, Wholesale septic, Sledgehammer, Tiger4n, Chris22
15035 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15035 Members
36 Forums
34791 Topics
475724 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24001
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18953
Dave Davidson1 13089
Theo Gallus 12332
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 380 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#482524 - 11/11/17 06:46 PM One predator I'm glad to have...
anthropic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Saw a magnificent, fully mature Bald Eagle out at the pond the other day. Hope that it stays and builds a nest, it's welcome to any fish it might eat! smile

#482551 - 11/12/17 07:09 AM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
At my place last year I think they liked feeding on the Tp that were slowing down due to the colder water temps. Makes them an easier catch. Last year, like you I was pleased to see one hanging around but after 90 days of it being at the pond everyday. The Tp were gone pretty quick with the cold water and the eagle but after that I had seen enough of it feeding on my hsb, lmb cnbg and res. "Majestic Birds" yes, but they are still a bird that eat my fish!! And now, after last years experience, I just consider them another threat in my plans of growing some nice fish. And another thing is I worry about taking my 7# Maultiepoo Charlie with me and walking him around the pond when the eagle is around. He is a white ball of fluff and could be an easy target of the eagle. I'm happy for you being pleased about the Eagle though, it's just not my cup of tea!
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#482585 - 11/12/17 07:55 PM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
gully washer Offline

Loc: Texas
That’s cool…………… The primary reason I built a pond was for wildlife enhancement, so I’d be down for having an eagle around.

A couple of months ago I witnessed a red-tail hawk swoop down and attack a full grown duck, which was swimming in the pond. After a bit of commotion the hawk let go of the duck and flew away. The duck immediately swam to shore where it sat on the ground for the rest of the day, before flying away in the evening.

#482647 - 11/13/17 09:34 PM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
Sunil Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Somerset, PA
Not to high jack...but check out this video of a redtail hawk taking a screech owl out of it's nest-box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5hfc2bfmOM

#482653 - 11/14/17 06:26 AM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: Sunil]
wbuffetjr Offline

Loc: in the mountains
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Not to high jack...but check out this video of a redtail hawk taking a screech owl out of it's nest-box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5hfc2bfmOM

WOW!!

#482656 - 11/14/17 08:03 AM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
So much for worrying about snakes and raccoons!! How in the world do you capture that kind of video!!?? I was excited just to see a wood duck fly into mine!!

#482670 - 11/14/17 11:58 AM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
Sunil Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Somerset, PA
I know!!

I always think of owls as somewhat of an apex bird. I guess the Red Tail Hawk didn't get the memo.

#482675 - 11/14/17 02:52 PM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
KapHn8d Offline

Loc: TX
Here is an eagle photo I took a while back... they are indeed majestic birds. Their voice caught me off-guard the first time I ever heard one though. I guess all those years of the movie and television industry dubbing in the screech of a red-tailed hawk for every scene with an eagle had my brain expecting that instead of the short, staccato, chirps that bald eagles actually make. Haha...

I haven't seen any on my property yet, but one flew over a couple years ago. Pretty cool...

/c

We become what we think about.

#482692 - 11/14/17 09:03 PM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: KapHn8d]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Originally Posted By: KapHn8d
Here is an eagle photo I took a while back... they are indeed majestic birds. Their voice caught me off-guard the first time I ever heard one though. I guess all those years of the movie and television industry dubbing in the screech of a red-tailed hawk for every scene with an eagle had my brain expecting that instead of the short, staccato, chirps that bald eagles actually make. Haha...

I haven't seen any on my property yet, but one flew over a couple years ago. Pretty cool...

/c

Beautiful picture!!!

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#482705 - 11/15/17 07:56 AM Re: One predator I'm glad to have... [Re: anthropic]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
That bird looks bad ass!! A couple years back I took my wife out fishing on Lake Sam Rayburn. It is pretty rare to see a bald eagle even though they do nest around the lake. I spotted one and pointed it out to her. Her first siteing became very real as the bald eagle swooped down within 100 ft of our boat and grabbed about a 2 pound largemouth bass and flew off with it!!! A true thing of beauty. I have fished this lake for 40 years and that is the first time to see one actually catch a fish. She probably been on the lake a dozen times in her life and gets to witness that with me that morning. Great day!!

Today's Birthdays
mchunt, redeye
Recent Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!
by Zep
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Ken's Fish Hatchery -Absolute Auction
by sprkplug
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
RESxGSF hybrid
by snrub
Yesterday at 09:53 PM