Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (Freg, Donatello, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 633 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Unfortunately there are no wastewater techs alive in my area anymore so I'm stuck with an "eminent domain" as soon as your lagoon fails situation, and no help. I've been reading like mad. They won't let us tie into the city sewer because they want a pretty field next to the road instead of the building that has been there since 1968.

There are two ponds. Both fed by a large 220v high volume air pump, 1.5 inch pipe and a homemade octagonal diffuser in each pond. These ponds are probably 40x70' and about 6' deep.
The aerator in the ponds are at the surface
Shouldn't the aerator be on the bottom???? These only have 8 holes in each diffuser. I would expect a large number of small holes. I also suspect that the main pond (other is an overflow), should have 2 diffusers since it is a wastewater lagoon fed by a large 5 section septic tank system.
The main pond is failing and I am removing cattails and I found pieces of yet another diy aerator built like a ladder. This one appears to have been original and is anchored rather high!!
Suggestions??
I'll have to make another diy diffuser system. How big and how many million holes do I need to drill? ..

Fyi The 5 tank septic has a massive air pump feeding a simple 1.5" pipe into each section. No diffusion at all. I have to redo the piping due to wear holes, should it get like a diffuser cap. A 1.5" cap drilled with tiny holes??

Any guidance or direction to diy designs for this would really help. I'm drowning in $$$$ solutions and scientific info and not enough real world basic knowledge. I cant even find someone who knows how to test the water or what test kit to buy to check the health of the system.
TIA

S
OP Offline
S
On a side note... It's scary that there are no wastewater lagoon techs near me. This would seem like something the wise would know about as you will need to use a lagoon if things go "south". I guess I'm going to have to become one of those guys who learns "the old way" for when the status quo fails.
Not one drain or plumbing company in my area has any knowledge of these systems!
I know its not a nice fish pond, but I figure some of you guys know something about these lagoons.
Grateful for any practical knowledge, thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe take a trip here and talk to the techs there?

http://www.fcgov.com/utilities/what-we-do/wastewater

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
Is this for a single family home?

Could it have been designed as a reed bed?

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I hate to say it, but your "aeration" sounds like a complete mess and is doing nothing properly, except burn a LOT of electricity. A lagoon does not even need aeration if the load is small, but things happen faster with proper aeration. 6 foot depth in the main ponds is too shallow for bottom membrane diffusers, but runs of hose can help. A surface agitator or two is probably best with the shallow water.

Here are 2 links...The first is on proper lagoon design and the second is a company that sells diffusers designed specifically for waste water treatment......

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/WQ402

http://www.wastewater.com/parts

E
E
OP, where are you based? If you are in the VA area, particularly near Mechanicsville we may be able to assist.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??